Gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls lies at the centre of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. In addition to the targets for SDG5 “Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls”, it is reflected and mainstreamed across all 17 SDGs.
The Event centres on the critical role and contribution of rural women in increasing food security and eradicating rural poverty through agricultural and rural development. Gender equality and the empowerment of rural women is inextricably linked to the strengthening of food systems to fight hunger and malnutrition, and to real gains for rural lives and livelihoods at large.
There is substantial evidence that as much as half of the reduction in hunger between 1970 and 1995 can be attributed to improvements in women's societal status: progress in women's access to education alone was linked to a 43 percent gain in food security as significant as the gains from increased food availability (26 percent) and health advances (19 percent) combined.
When women control additional income, they spend more of it than men do on food, health, clothing and education for their children. Enabling and empowering rural women therefore translates into improved overall well-being for children, households and communities, which in turn contributes to building human capital for future generations and to long-term social and economic growth.
Empowering rural women and girls is therefore not only critical for agricultural development, it is crucial to social and economic progress, and to sustainable development overall.
AGENDA of the event
Registration and Welcome Coffee
• Address by José Graziano da Silva, Director-General of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, FAO
• Address by Neven Mimica, European Union Commissioner for International Cooperation and Development
• Address by Her Excellency Gabriela Matecná, Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development of the Slovak Republic – Slovak Presidency of the Council of the European Union
• Address by Kanayo F. Nwanze, President of the International Fund for Agricultural Development, IFAD
• Address by Denise Brown, Director of Emergencies, World Food Programme, WFP
• Address by Maria Noel Vaeza, Director of Programmes, UN Women
Session moderated by: Marieta Okenkova, Slovak Presidency of the Council of the European Union
• Address by Her Excellency Dr. Ameenah Gurib-Fakim, President of the Republic of Mauritius
• Address by Her Royal Highness Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden, Sustainable Development Goals Advocate
• Address by Her Excellency Sika Bella Kaboré, First Lady of Burkina Faso
• Address by Tawakkol Karman, Nobel Peace Prize laureate (2011)
Session moderated by: Maria Helena Semedo, Deputy Director-General, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, FAO
Roundtable I: Rural Women’s Economic Empowerment
• Agnes Quisumbing, Senior Research Fellow, International Food Policy Research Institute, IFPRI
• Jyoti Macwan, General Secretary of the Self Employed Women’s Association, SEWA
• Carolina Trivelli, Senior Researcher, Institute for Peruvian Studies, IEP
• Her Excellency Taalaigul Isakunova, Minister for Labour and Social Development of Kyrgyzstan
• Maureen Kemunto Miruka, Director of Agriculture and Market Systems, Food and Nutrition Security Unit, CARE USA
• Steven Were Omamo Deputy Director, Policy and Programme Division, World Food Programme, WFP
Session moderated by: Kostas Stamoulis, Assistant Director-General, Economic and Social Development Department, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, FAO
• Address by Her Excellency María Ángela Holguín Cuéllar, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Colombia
Session moderated by: Marcela Villarreal, Director of Partnerships, Advocacy and Capacity Development,Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, FAO
Roundtable II: Gender Transformative Approach to End Poverty, Hunger and Undernutrition
• Estrella Penunia, Secretary General of the Asian Farmers’ Association, AFA
• Mrs Fatimah Kelleher, Expertise on Women’s Rights, Wise Development
• Mrs Paola Cirillo, Vice President of the Italian Association for Women in Development
• Fatima Shabodien, Country Director of ActionAid South Africa
• Maria Hartl, Senior Technical Specialist Gender and Social Equity, International Fund for Agricultural Development, IFAD
Session moderated by: Margot Skarpeteig, Counsellor, Embassy of the Kingdom of Norway
• Roberto Ridolfi, Director for Sustainable Growth and Development, Directorate-General for International Cooperation and Development (DG DEVCO), European Commission
• Brave Ndisale, Director of the Social Policies and Rural Institutions Division, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
08.00 - 09.30
More info at: http://www.fao.org/about/meetings/rural-women-end-hunger/about-the-event/en/